Thursday 30 April 2015

3) The Russian Revolutionary: Zaha Hadid on Kazimir Malevich, BBC, 2014.

Zaha’s work emphasises to me the importance of not being confined by the laws of logic. In a period where the economy was bleak, where she was accused of producing work that was wrong and misguiding, she continued to design with freedom. She really focuses on how a building functions and relates to its environment, which is a key point that I need to focus on in my designs. Her buildings are distinctively futuristic and are characterised by curving forms utilising ingenious engineering creating the appearance that they are “floating”. I think that it is important to remember in my design work how far engineering has come and by looking at Zaha’s work, I can see that almost anything is possible.

As the clip explains, Zaha’s work is heavily influenced by Kazimir Malevich’s Suprematist movement, which highlighted the beginning of a new cultural world of art with no objectives. In relation to my work, it is important for me to remember that architects by nature are always abstract and it is important to develop my ideas through drawing and paintings my visions, as Zaha does.

Looking at the interiors, I like Zaha’s use of materials; glass, steel, concrete and the struts she creates in the roods making sharp Z-shaped angles. There seems to be an absence of columns and symmetry especially in the facades. Her designs are very much focused on the way people flow through the space and their path of sight through a journey of light and shadows.



One of kazimir malevich's paintings, which inspired Zaha Hadid's work

IMAGE REFERENCE: davide pizzigoni, (2014), 
kazimir malevich's work [ONLINE]. Available at:http://www.designboom.com/architecture/zaha-hadid-kazimir-malevich-documentary-bbc-03-27-2014/[Accessed 29 October 14].




No comments:

Post a Comment